Featured Maps

Featured Trails

Recent Maps

Recent Trails

Bass Harbor Lighthouse
Elev: ' | ,
Distance Traveled:

0
Bass Harbor Lighthouse

The history of Bass Harbor Head Light dates to 1855, when it was determined that there was sufficient reason for a lighthouse at the mouth of Bass Harbor. In 1858, the U.S. Congress appropriated $5,000 for construction of the lighthouse. In 1876, construction was completed on a fog bell and tower, since removed.[1] A much larger 4,000-pound (1800 kg) bell was placed inside the tower in 1898.[6] The house of the lightkeeper remains in its original configuration with the exception of a 10-foot addition that was added in 1900.[6]The lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Bass Harbor Head Light Station on January 21, 1988, reference number 87002273. *Wikipedia

Share Bass Harbor Lighthouse